Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 42: Walking

Day 42
Trail beside a stream,
Fragrant pine.
Rocky red earth,
Steep mountain.
-Deng Ming-Dao

Almost every day I walk in the wood with my dogs. A minimum of an hour, but usually closer to two hours. I feel safe wandering through Eastern woodlands - pine, oak, birch, gum - water surrounding me, sky above me, earth below me. I know many who would find such natural surroundings intimidating if they are alone, but I find being alone within nature to be so very soothing, safe and spiritual. People tell me to be careful. I feel no fear. The only time I get concerned is if I see another human and I need my intuition (or that of my dogs) to acknowledge concern for my situation, if there is any need. But, alone in the woods is the best place for me; and my dogs love to roam and explore with me. I can think of no better way to spend a portion of my day than under a canopy of trees with the sounds of the wild. It gives my body, mind and soul a sense of peace. For, as Deng Ming-Dao writes, "There are a thousand meanings in every view, if only we open ourselves to see the scripture of the landscape."

No comments:

Post a Comment